Sunday, December 27, 2015

What a week it has been. My first real week as a missionary. I wish I could tell you who we visited and what we said, but I have no idea. It is so hard to understand the people here and they speak as close to English as you can get. I´m toast. No just kidding. I can catch a word every now and then but the hardest part is not zoning out.

Well Juárez is different. It is a lot more dangerous, it´s a lot of fun and surprisingly a lot of Spanish. It´s really different than a lot of missions. Let me show you.
Can´t drink the water                                   too dangerous
Can´t not wear shoes in the house                too dangerous
Can´t knock on doors                                  too dangerous
Can´t have bikes                                         too dangerous
Can´t have a car                                         too dangerous
Can´t have somewhat not crappy phones      too dangerous
Can´t talk sometimes                                  too dangerous
Can´t carry stuff home                                 too dangerous
Running across 6 lanes of busy highway       not too dangerous 
All in all it is a strange place to be a missionary.

There are a lot of experiences I want to tell but I don´t know if I´ll have time. 

So yesterday we went to to church and that was weird because it´s Mexico and I´m a missionary. We didn´t introduce ourselves to the ward because they think the bishop hates us. He wasn´t there so I don´t know. We went to lunch with members afterwards-we eat lunch at 2 with members every day and that´s about the only real meal we have. Afterwards we went to an investigators house to see if we could teach her. She was asleep and she wanted to stay asleep so she gave us food and then bid us good bye. It was really strange. 

One tuesday my first day in Juárez with my companion Elder Borgel, we were walking around and going to the store to get supplies for the week. All around the city and in mexico there are tons of gated communities and if not you have a gate no yard. So we walk past a guard shack and he talks to the guy and gets 200 pesos. I was like teach me brother I need to know how. I guess that that was a member who paid us instead of feeding us. Weird though, I wondered if my companion was a gangster or something. 

My first day here was interesting. I serve in Satelite 1 and my companion is the district leader of Satelite which includes us and a set of hermanas in Satelite 2. It was awesome because one of my amigos from my CCM district is in Satelite 3 and lives close so we are almost always together. It is nice to be close to an american. My house is supper tiny. The clearence is aweful. I can see over the door which shouldn´t be. Our house is the warehouse for the area so I get whatever I need whenever. There are a lot of nice houses here and I swear the second members we ate with are movie stars or something. Then you have crumbling houses too. It´s really strange. Our Area is huge probably one of the biggest in the mission so we walk alot. There is not a lot in between houses so we walk. Even our house is outside of our area so we have to walk just to get started. 

Elder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment