Monday, November 7, 2016







So this week was really super fun. Monday was Halloween so me and elder Wilson, the other American, we purchased pumpkins that they grow here in Ascension. It was funny because the guy that was selling them to us was like it good for soup and other weird stuff to eat. I wasn´t really interested in eating it but that´s how it was. We carved pumpkins and all of that. Our Latino companeros weren’t really interested in celebrating Halloween. I don´t know why, it´s pretty much the second biggest celebration of the year. Elder Wilson bought candies and our landlords gave us dead day bread. It was a great celebration. 

Wednesday was day of the dead. It was really hard to contact and have lessons because everybody was in the grave yard. I always thought that it was a weird celebration but it is the equivalent of Memorial Day just Mexican version. The family goes to the grave yard, cleans it up, puts flowers there, has bands sing and the have a big dinner of what the person liked; to celebrate them. Maybe in south Mexico they do it different but in the north they don´t take the people out of the graves or make alters or leave food. I asked them about that and they told me that that is just stupid but in Spanish of course. 

So this day because there was nobody in the roads we went to the grave yard and sang for the people in the graves but not the people below but upstairs as Shakespeare says. The ones that are alive. Hopefully you guys don´t think that what we did was super rude because it was really natural and they loved it. Besides if they can sing banda I think that it is ok to sing church hymns. That was a lot of fun. 

Friday I had my cumpleaño. I was super excited. I didn´t even realized that I completed a year until I was in the shower. I wanted to have a big party and invite the whole neighborhood but we had a lot of work that day so my party kind of got canceled. We ended up having a bag of Doritos and a Sprite. It´s funny because the Doritos here are spicy but like child’s play spicy. I gave some to my companion and I guess it was really spicy for him. He was sweating a lot and panting like a tired dog. I felt bad because it´s not spicy sooo he´s got some problems I guess when they really turn up the heat someday.

Well that was about it in my party week. We had interviews with president two days ago and he really encouraged me to keep up the work. It was a good meeting.


Élder Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment