Monday, March 21, 2016




Cambios! I got changed out of Satélite and now I´m serving in Azteca. This is my first change so I didn´t really know what it would be like but so far it has been great. 

Azteca is in the south stake which means that I´m up in the mountains all day. I´m with Elder Gardiner who is also a güero so we’re two super big celebrities here. He´s a bit older than me because he went to BYU before the mission but we have almost the same amount of time in the mission. We´re just two white guys here in Mexico trying to learn how to be missionaries and speak Spanish all at the same time. He always tells me: It´s the blind leading the blind. My companion is super chill. He´s from California and he says a lot of stuff like Rad. It´s all really funny.

We´re up in the mountains like I said which means that we walk up and down a lot of hills. It reminds me a lot of Colorado with the dry mountain terrain. It´s like the AF Academy but we are walking not driving around. It´s probably one of my favorite places to work especially at night because it has a beautiful view of the city. At night we see a line of lights stretch through the city which is the fence they have between El Paso and Ciudad Juárez. It´s really cool too because the big mountain with the words on it is right next to us (you can see this while driving on I-10 through El Paso). We work on the mountain with the face of Benito Juárez but I doubt that you guys have noticed that one before. 

Whenever I tell new people where I´m from they like Los Spurs and then they tell me who they play and all kinds of crazy stuff. 

This area is really poor. I think that as far as the stakes go we have the poorest. It´s rough because the poor areas are where the dead dogs are and the sick kids and lots of trash. There is a lot of running water in Juárez but it usually comes from overflowing sewage and things like that. The good news is that in the poor areas is where the cheap segundas are. Our district leader found a tie with two missionaries on bikes and I´ve heard other crazy stories of things found in the segundas. 

Funny stuff happen in the streets all the time. The other day we saw a homemade dune buggy driving through the streets and we were like whoo, we´re in Mexico. Then like 2 seconds later we saw a police truck with men armed in swat gear on the back and we were like Confirmation we are in Mexico. Just this morning we saw a horse drawn buggy in the streets and I think that he might of been a Mennonite (the ones who speak German and are kind of Amish) but I´m not sure. 

We don´t really have any progressing investigators but sometimes people just show up to the church and I guess we turn them into investigators. Hopefully well turn this area around and baptize.

I hope you guys have a great week.

Elder Nelson 

No comments:

Post a Comment