Monday, February 29, 2016

Nachos and Slushies



This week has been so awesome. I had some super cool experiences throughout this week but also during the month.

So this past month I decided to try and gain a better testimony of Fasting. I don´t like to teach things that I can´t explain and understand. So this month I focused on Fasting and Fast Offerings. Each month we get a set number of pesos to use during the week on food and buses and haircuts and things like that. So this month I decided to pay a lot of money to fast offerings and see specifically what happened. I´ve heard about miracles happening when other missionaries do stuff like this but I didn´t expect the results I got. 

For example, we had a member who went to El Paso and bought groceries for that week. Then the next week we went shopping and we met another member from Nogales who gave us 200 pesos to reimburse us for the food we bought. He then gave us nachos and slushies. We also did not have a lot of meetings back at the mission offices (I don´t know how because we go to all of them: I´m being trained, my companion is a district leader) so we saved the money we would have used for the routes. I got a package of canned goods from my parents too so we had a lot of food. All of our rides we needed we usually got picked up by members or investigators. But yesterday a miracle happened. I was walking to church and I saw a 200 peso bill siting on the ground. I was so shocked I didn´t know what to do. 200 pesos is like a whole week’s worth of food and internet. So fast offerings are real.

Then we had an investigator who drank coffee and smoked every day. We taught him about fasting and he came to church, fasted and like three days later he stopped smoking and drinking. We gave him hot chocolate to replace the coffee but he doesn´t even have any interest to drink that.

There was also another cool experience we had this week. We were knocking doors in a fraccionamiento and no one was opening up. They would answer the door and say “I´m catholic.” I´ve learned from former investigators that it´s ‘illegal’ to listen to our message if you’re in the catholic church. So anyways we knocked doors and finally at the end of the day we knocked a door and a lady let us come in and teach her and her friend. Her name is Isis and she was super excited to read the Family Proclamation. I didn´t think she’d be excited about families or two American Elders but she committed to taking our discussions. 

How´s your week been? How´s school? Any fun spring break, valentine’s experiences?

Have a successful week.
Élder Nelson


No comments:

Post a Comment